Blogging tips: Starting and maintaining a blog

Friday, May 22, 2015

 
 
I wish I knew a lot of things before I started blogging. Don't get me wrong, I do not regret my blogging process.
It has sure been a fun ride but I wish I had more knowledge;
I would have saved myself a whole lot of stress and money. YES MONEY!
 
I would spare you my long blogging journey, would probably do that in another post.
For today I want to give some tips I believe you should consider when starting your blog.
It would also help you in the long run; I hope it does, Lol!
 
NICHE-ING IN!
 
 
This point is cliché right? It is, but still very important.
Niche in simpler terms just refers to your blog topic or what your blog is about.
This will in turn determine your target audience.
 
You might decide to stick to one topic; Male fashion, African poetry, Nigerian cuisine, Faith or have a much more versatile blog that touches on as many issues as possible but should still have common features.  Everything you write(blog about) will centre on whatever topic you decide on.
 
I have a versatile blog with blog posts about beauty, fashion, my faith/love/relationships, food, events and other lifestyle issues.
Beauty and fashion are very closely related. My faith and belief make up my lifestyle, the events I attend and the food I eat also make up my lifestyle.
Hope you can decipher the inter relationship and common features?
Good then!
 
 
DOMAIN NAME
 
 
I am of the school of thought that names are very important.
I love to read other blogs and I stumble on several blogs from time to time.
It is quite tasking to read every single blog I see; hence I go for the blog with the most catchy name :)
Try to avoid hyphens and numbers, it makes your blog look unprofessional.
Avoid long names as you need readers to remember your blog name. Very long domain names are usually neglected.
Own yours! Your blog looks more professional with a customized domain. For example www.rhedruby.com has a more professional outlook than www.rhedruby.wordpress.com
You can purchase a domain name from certain providers like Godaddy
 
 
BLOG PLATFORM
 
As a beginner, you need an easy platform.
Blogger for example is quite easy to work around for beginners BUT could be a tit bit complicated in editing templates. It does not have very professional and high tech default themes and you need to download high tech themes from external providers.( There are free themes for blogger, so you can save some cash)
Word press is easier on the long run because it has plugins and more tech savvy default profile themes.
If you ask me I would say go for Blogger. *surprised right* 
As a blogger who has tried these two platforms I think I can give my candid opinion on this.
On both platforms, I had to take time to learn about HTML and coding. RESEARCH!!
I also downloaded and purchased different profiles and themes to suit my blog's personality and create a professional BLOG PERSONA.
All these cost me TIME and MONEY!
I choose blogger because it is easier to maintain if you are buying your own domain name and it is easier to get traffic on blogger than on Word press since blogger is very closely linked to Google.
Google can delete your blog if the rules and regulations are violated but I trust you plan to do original content on your blog and also give credit to authors or sites you copy their work or borrow their content :)
I am presently on the blogger platform and my knowledge of the above factors have helped me in maintaining a professional looking blog, just like a Word press hosted blog would appear.
Other platforms you can try are Tumblr, FreeblogIt, Blog.co.uk, BlogDive or LiveJournal
 
 
BLOG APPEARANCE
 
This is the theme or template of your blog. I advice you choose a predominantly white background theme.
 
White gives the blog a fresh and savvy look.
You do not need too much colour on the theme as it may be(appear) heavy on the eyes of the reader.
Let the colour on your blog be the pictures; Simplicity is very key here.
Also take proper note/care for arrangement and the neatness of your blog.
Let your blog widgets be properly labelled and arranged.
The photos on your blog should also be properly adjusted and arranged.
 
 
CONTENT, TRAFFIC AND PUBLICITY
 
 
Let your content be original and quality.
Readers will only come back if you know what you are 'talking about'
Take advantage of the publicity power of social media platforms like Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram.
Comment on other blogs and leave your blog link below in the comment section. It helps too.
 Be honest, detailed and as much as possible honest with your comment; most bloggers ignore negative or insensitive comments.
Make friends with other bloggers and join various platforms.
 
More to come on Blogging tips.
Have a fabulous blogging experience.
Muahhhh!!!!
 
 
Photo credits
 
A WORDPRESS THEME REVIEW
MASTER NEW MEDIA
GOOGLE



 Matthew 5:42
'Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.'
 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. thank you so much for this post!!!! please try to do a more elaborate post on publicity and traffic generation.

    Again nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done dear!. I'd send this link to someone who might need it atm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok dear, thank you so much. :) Appreciate it!

      Delete

Thank you for reading :)
So what are your thoughts on this post?
I would love you to share them in the comment box.
Muah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TALK TO ME!